Capt. Fisher, made rich by the turn-of-the century menhaden fishery, aligned the roof of the five-story mansion along his compass. He erected the wooden mast of his beloved schooner, the “John B. Adams” that sailed the Atlantic, through the top two stories, and stacked the 10-inch walls of brick brought south from Baltimore.
Building the Gables took eight years because what was built one day, Capt. Fisher was likely to have torn down and rebuilt the next. A local historian, Miriam Haynie writes, “Finally, it was finished and stood in all its gabled Queen Anne glory — with a fountain in front, a coach house on the side and a handsome wrought-iron fence to enclose it all.” The Fishers moved into their new home in 1914.
Captain Fisher was also famous for building the bank across the street and later during the great depression contributing $120,000.00 to keep the bank from closing.